OFF ROAD ATV ADVENTURE
Get ready to get DIRTY as we ride the rugged trails that skirt one of the islands largest salt ponds where the winding trails on which donkeys once carted the precious cargo now become our off-road playground.
This exciting bumpy ride is the only way to experience Grand Turks natural heritage, history and culture up close and personally.
What we will see
- John Glenn's Capsule
- Diverse flora and fauna
- Historic Salt Pans
- Coastal scenery
- Sweeping view of the island
What we will do
- We begin this exciting excursion at the cruise liner pier, where our guides give us a safety briefing and practical demonstration of how to drive the ATVs before setting off, leading us in a convoy.
- We will immediately head on to fun off road terrane that takes us through a Caribbean Pinetree lined trail, and to our first stop on a small beach giving us a view of some of the islands nearby cays. If we are lucky we might see a majestic Ospery nesting up high, hence the name Hawks Nest.
- From there coastal trails lead to historic salt pans where salt was mined and became the corner stone of the Turks and Caicos economy. Tons of photo opportunities exist around this unique land scape of pans while our guide gives us interesting historical facts and describes the salt producing process. Keep your cameras ready as we may see free roaming horses and donkeys both of which always played a part in the salt industry.
- We then slowly ride by the replica of the John Glenn Friendship 7 which splashed down off the coast of Grand Turk en route to our look out point.
- A stop on Breezy Brae Hill gives us an almost 360 view of the island. From breath taking views of turquois seas on the east side of the island dotted with tiny cays, to picture perfect vistas of the island’s capital of Cockburn Town on the west side and the imposing scene of our ship docked all the way down south.
- We will ride past a small neighbourhood situated on the outskirts of the Salinas where we will see different types of homes and give of an idea of the social aspect and lifestyle of the Turks Islanders.
What you need to know
- Minimum age: 16 years.
- You must be in possession of a valid driving license to be presented to personnel at the time of departure.
- The ATVs are single rider units and are fully automatic.
- Maximum weight per ATV: 136 kg. ( 300lbs)
- The tour involves driving mostly off-road; we recommend wearing long pants and closed shoes.
- We will get our clothes dirty during the tour, so we recommend bringing a change of clothing. The excursion is not recommended for pregnant women or people with neck, back or, heart conditions, epilepsy or asthma. Protective helmets with visors are provided and must be worn at all times while riding the quad bikes.
- All participants must sign a liability release form in English before the excursion begins.