THE DARK CHARM OF VENICE
Love stories and horror stories. Sometimes both together. Venice is a city of ghosts and legends and loves to surround things in mystery. Our guide will be waiting for you at Riva degli Schiavoni for a tour of the most mysterious places in the city called 'La Serenissima'.
- Giudecca Canal
- Island of San Giorgio
- Church of the Pietà and Pio Ospedale della Pietà
- Calle degli Assassini, Campo San Giovanni e Paolo, Scuola Grande di San Marco and Calle delle Carrozze.
The first stop is the Church of the Pietà, where Antonio Vivaldi, known as the “Red Priest”, composed and taught music and singing to foundlings from the nearby orphanage: you'll discover the rest of the story when you're there.
The excursion continues among secret passages and ruins. Even today, entering Calle degli Assassini , the scene of some perfect crimes, can be disconcerting.
Campo San Giovanni e Paolo on the other hand is haunted by the beheaded body of Doge Marin Faliero, looking for the head he lost as a punishment for having dared to conspire against the city.
Look at that strange inscription on the façade of the Scuola Grande di San Marco, it represents a man with a turban and a heart in his left hand. There's a story behind it, and it doesn't have a happy ending.
In Calle delle Carrozze you may wonder: why is there a 'carriage street' in a city with no carriages? Yet more mysteries.
Good to know
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.
- The excursion is available both for guests in transit and for guests with a flight, train journey or transfer departing from Venice after 6.30 p.m.
- The excursion program does not include any further transfer at the end of the excursion from the Cruise Terminal, neither to the railway station nor to any other destination.
- Costa Cruises offers all tour guests a left luggage service inside the Cruise Terminal, where luggage can be delivered and collected until 5.00 p.m.