SNORKELLING AT THE CHAMPAGNE REEF IN CATAMARAN
A snorkelling session surrounded by hot springs as if we were in a champagne glass: this is what awaits us in this fantastic excursion to discover the Champagne Reef marine ecosystem among turtles, tropical fish and the exceptional fauna populating this corner of paradise.
- Catamaran cruise along the south-western coast as far as Champagne
- Snorkelling at Champagne Reef
- We get off our ship and walk to the nearby ferry terminal where we board a catamaran that will sail along the south-western coast of Dominica as far as Champagne, one of the best snorkelling locations in the world.
- The crew provides us with all the information on how to correctly use the equipment, on safety and on the marine species we might spot underwater.
- The Champagne Reef coral reef is located in the Soufrière-Scott's Head Marine Reserve and is considered the leading spot in Dominica for snorkelling and diving and it is among the first five locations in the Caribbean for these activities.
- It takes its name after the gases leaking from the fumaroles at the bottom of the sea and reaching the surface in the form of drops similar to liquid crystal, giving the impression of swimming in a huge glass of champagne.
- The barrier is spectacular: we can admire a myriad of fish and coral including sponges, lobsters, parrotfish, imbricated turtles, green turtles and sea horses. We can also see the wreck (cannons and chains) of a 17th-century Spanish ship.
- After our snorkelling session, we get back to our catamaran to return to Roseau.
Good to know
- Minimum age: 8 years.
- Maximum weight: 113 kg.