PALMA EASY TOUR
Giro turistico, Kultur, Underhållning
Adagio Tour is an experience created in collaboration with Costa Crociere Foundation and Aism to meet the needs of guests who would like a “slower” pace to better savour the stops and their sights on itineraries with minimum architectural barriers.
Sightseeing tour of Palma with convenient stops to admire the most distinctive monuments in the city including Bellver Castle, the Cathedral and the Royal Palace of La Almudaina
What we will see
- Sightseeing tour
- Bellver Castle
- Cathedral of Santa Maria (La Seu), Royal Palace of La Almudaina
- Pearl store
What we will do
- We take the coach from the port along the seafront to Bellver Castle, one of the greatest examples of Gothic civil architecture in Mallorca and the only circular castle in Spain. The castle is located 3 km from Palma on a hill offering breathtaking views over the city and port. King James II of Mallorca ordered its construction at the beginning of the 14th century as a defensive structure and royal residence. From medieval times to the period of the Spanish Civil War, it was sadly famous for being a prison. Amongst others, minister Gaspar Melchor de Jovellanos was imprisoned there along with young French physicist, François Arago.
- Since 1976, it has been housing the city's History Museum which covers the entire history of Palma de Mallorca since its establishment in medieval times. Coaches park at the bottom of the castle and a sign illustrates the ramps leading to the entrance reserved to people with mobility problems. Accessible toilets in the castle are conveniently flagged, and so are refreshment points with cafés and compliant toilets easily accessible with an electric wheelchair. A lifting platform is available to climb to the top of the castle and enjoy spectacular views of Palma.
- Our next stop is near the Cathedral of Santa Maria, the city’s most famous building, restored between 1904 and 1914 under the management of Antoni Gaudí. The church can be reached using a wheelchair. This cathedral’s unique characteristic is Ojo del Gótico, the rose found on the main façade which is one of the largest in Gothic style found in Europe!
- A few steps from the cathedral lies the Royal Palace of La Almudaina, home to the King of Spain when he visits the island. Our guide will highlight the main features of this monument from the outside. Unfortunately, we must report the lack of accessible public toilets in the city and we recommend having someone to help as there are slight slopes and uneven surfaces.
What you need to know
We recommend to wear comfortable walking shoes. You must climb approximately 100 steps in order to visit to the outside of the cathedral.
Disable guests need to be escorted by an accompanying person
For those guests with wheel chair, the reservation of the Adagio tour need to be done exclusively through your cruise reservation agent