GENOA IN TOAL FREEDOM
Adagio Tour is an experience created in collaboration with Costa Crociere Foundation and Aism to meet the needs of guests who would like a “slower” pace to better savour the stops and their sights on itineraries with minimum architectural barriers. The "Adagio Tour" version of this excursion is available exclusively on Costa Diadema.
Discover Genoa, the most well-known city in Liguria made famous by Christopher Columbus and which is home to the spectacular aquarium, the splendid port and a historic centre considered to be the largest Medieval district in Europe.
What we will see
- Genoa, historic centre, Ancient Port
What we will do
- We leave the port of Savona by coach, and arrive in the heart of Genoa.
- From Piazza Caricamento, the old seaport where goods used to be loaded and unloaded, we walk towards the Old Port with its museums, bars and restaurants, spectacular aquarium, wide open spaces and many other attractions.
- After leaving Piazza Caricamento and the majestic Palazzo San Giorgio behind us, we enter the Medieval part of the city and are free to walk along its fascinating narrow streets, called “caruggi” by the locals, eager to discover its curiosities, mysteries and secrets. We remain enchanted by architectural beauties such as Palazzi dei Rolli, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2006. The Rolli where palaces and homes owned by the Genoa noble families, who aimed at hosting important figures travelling through the city based on a public draw. In the following period, the same residences housed famous travellers who included the Ligurian capital in their cultural, tourist or business related Grand Tours.
- In marvellous via Garibaldi, also known as “Strada nuova”, guests with mobility problems can autonomously visit Palazzo Rosso, home to the Musei di Strada Nuova, Palazzo Bianco and Palazzo Tursi. Palazzo Bianco and Palazzo Tursi, which are home to Genoa’s Municipality institutions, have a side entrance and accessible toilets. At the bottom of via Garibaldi, we can take a detour as far as Piazza Portello, take the lift to Spianata Castelletto and enjoy lovely views of the city!
- Continuing towards Piazza De Ferrari, opposite the fantastic fountain, we find Palazzo Ducale, home to the Dogi of the Republic of Genoa and now cultural hub made entirely accessible thanks to its lifts and ramps.
- A few minutes from Palazzo Ducale, on the side of Piazza Matteotti, we can reach the magnificent Cathedral of Saint Lawrence, a Gothic and Romanesque masterpiece accessible via a ramp on the side entrance.
- At the end of our free time, we return by coach to the port of Savona.
What you need to know
- The transfer to Genoa takes approximately 1 hour.
- Order of the walking and bus tours may be reversed.
- Disable guests need to be escorted by an accompanying person.
- For those guests with wheel chair, the reservation of the Adagio tour need to be done exclusively through your cruise reservation agent.