PENTEDATTILO "ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VILLAGES IN ITALY"
Giro turistico, Naturrundtur, Kultur, Shopping, Lunch not included
A walk through the narrow streets of this magical town. It gives off such an air of mystery that you can even sense it even when, admiring it from a distance, all of sudden it appears before our eyes, almost nestled into the cliff.
What we will see
- Pentedattilo, panoramic view
- The Alberti Castle, San Pietro e Paolo Church, Farmers' Museum
- Reggio Calabria Archaeological Museum, Underwater Archaeology Section
- Falcomatà Promenade
What we will do
- We will take the coach towards Pentedattilo , a picturesque village on the hills of Mount Calvario in the commune of Melito di Porto Salvo. The name of this hamlet comes from the Greek words penta and daktylos, meaning five fingers; a reminder of the distinctive shape that is reminiscent of a cyclops' hand. Although some parts of the mountain have eroded so much over the years that some of the five fingers of the hand are no longer visible, this distinctive centre of the "Grecanic Area" of Reggio Calabria is still a fascinating place steeped in mystery. We will be greeted by breathtaking views of the distinctive village.
- Our walk will take us to the entrance of the ancient Alberti Castle and then to the San Pietro e Paolo Church , after crossing the ruins of the ancient local dwellings there.
- Then we will visit the Farmers' Museum , where we can admire "Grecanic" wooden art or stained glass, crocheted fabrics and typical products. Every year, the village hosts two large events that attract visitors from all over the world: the Paleariza, an important international event and a genuine tribute to the Grecanic culture; and the Pentedattilo Film Festival, an international short film festival that magically unites cinema and territory.
- On our return coach journey to Reggio Calabria, we will stop at the town's Archaeological Museum one of the most important in Italy thanks to its evidence of Magna Graecia. In the recently created Underwater Archaeology Section , we can admire the famous Bronzes found in the waters off Riace beach.
- Then we will have some free time on our own to do some shopping or stroll along the Falcomatà promenade , labelled "the most beautiful kilometre in Italy" by many, offering pretty views of the remains of the Roman Baths.
What you need to know
- Guests with mobility issues can reach Alberti Castle using electric cars (a maximum of six people at a time).