THE SPECTACULAR VOLCANIC ISLAND OF SAKURAJIMA
Giro turistico, Shopping, Lunch not included
At the foothills of one of the most active volcanoes in Japan, located on an enchanting island off Kagoshima, Mother Nature provides travellers venturing into these places amazing views over landscapes that are wild yet fascinating and a surprising thermal footbath in a 100 metre tub a stone's throw from the sea and from the simmering Sakurajima volcano.
What we will see
- Ferry transfer to the volcanic island of Sakurajima
- Arimura Lava Belvedere: 360° view of the volcano
- Lava Nagisa Park: thermal footbath
- Ferry return to Kagoshima
- Shopping in the Tenmonkan district
What we will do
- We board a ferry which takes us to the volcanic island of Sakurajima, symbol of the city of Kagoshima, dominating the sea with its mountain often topped by a smoke plume indicating the magmatic activity that never sleeps.
- We stop at the Arimura Lava lookout on the southern side of the peak, Minami-dake, on the top of a hill in a lava field that formed after a big eruption in 1946.
- From here, we enjoy a 360° view of the volcano, the rugged lava field dotted with pine trees and Kagoshima bay.
- We then reach the Lava Nagisa Park and its 100-metre-long thermal tub used for footbaths. We immerse our feet in the hot waters gushing from 1,000 metres underground and boost our energy levels by admiring enchanting scenery, Kinko Bay and the Sakurajima volcano behind us.
- After returning to the city on our ferry, we end our excursion with some shopping in the Tenmonkan district where we can purchase a few souvenirs or enjoy some delicacies such as the shirokuma slush and typical Kagoshima ramen.
What you need to know
- There is limited availability of guides that speak English and other European languages.?