EXPLORING MARSEILLE AND ITS MANY FLAVOURS
Kultur, Gourmet Tours, Tasting
A tour in search of the true soul of Marseille, a bustling, multicultural city with a long and fascinating history, brimming with the flavours and aromas of Mediterranean culture.
What we will see
- The Church of Saint Laurent and the view of the Old Port
- "La Major" Cathedral and Esplanade
- Museum Complex
- "Panier" quarter, "La Vieille Charité" courtyard and loggia
What we will do
- We begin our discovery tour of Marseille by taking the shuttle bus from the port to the Church of Saint-Laurent. The little square in front of the church offers beautiful views of the Old Port and the hills surrounding the city.
- We make our way downhill from the church towards Marseille's Neo-Byzantine cathedral, known locally as La Major. After a tour around the outside of the building, we have a short stop in the new Esplanade, recently completed to coincide with Marseille's nomination as the "European capital of culture 2013".
- We then make our way to the new museum complex, which comprises three institutions: the "Musée Regards de Provence", the "Ville Méditerranée" and "MuCEM" - the Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilisations. Our guide will provide an overview of each building from the outside.
- We walk onwards, heading into the old heart of the city, the "Panier" quarter, with its artisan workshops and colourful, bustling cafés.
- Before we make our way into the web of narrow streets of the old town, we stop to visit the courtyard and the loggia of "La Vieille Charité", a building that originally served as an almshouse for the city's poor, but which is now home to a cultural centre and a venue for temporary exhibitions. We then take another short break to sample some local products.
- We make our way back to the Old Port, where we can either board the ship straight away, or spend a couple of hours of fee time in the city centre.
What you need to know
- Space is limited, so please reserve early.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- The order of visits may vary.