THE ROYAL PALACE OF CASERTA
Giro turistico, Kultur
One of the most visited sites in the world and a UNESCO World Heritage site. With such credentials the Royal Palace of Caserta (Reggia di Caserta) does not fall short of expectations.
What we will see
- Royal Palace of Caserta and its inner room
- Park of the Royal Palace of Caserta (Free time in the gardens in front of the Royal Palace)
- Grand Cascade
What we will do
- We leave the Port of Naples by coach and head for Caserta and its splendid Royal Palace.
- The Royal Palace of Caserta, which was once the historic residence of Naples' Bourbon royal family, is recognised by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. It is one of the most visited, and renowned examples of Italy's rich artistic heritage. The Bourbon King Charles of Naples, struck by the beauty of the landscape at Caserta and anxious that Naples have a worthy seat of government, decided in 1750 to build a residence that could compare with Versailles.
- Construction started on 20 January 1752 and continued without any interruption until 1759, the year when Charles had to move to Spain. At that point construction work slowed down and when the architect, Luigi Vanvitelli, died in 1773 the palace had not yet been completed. It was therefore his children, Louis and Charles who completed this monumental palace. The palace has a rectangular plan and is made up of blocks surrounding four internal courtyards, covering a surface area of approximately 47,000 square metres.
- The Royal Palace is surrounded by extensive grounds that are three kilometres long and cover approximately 120 hectares. They comprise two sections: the Italian garden and the English garden, the former characterized by various fountains and the famous Grand Cascade, and the latter by thick vegetation.
- The Royal Palace of Caserta is considered a masterpiece of architectural perfection and harmony. One of the largest royal residences in the world, it is largely the product of the artistic genius of Luigi Vanvitelli.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
- We recommend wearing comfortable shoes.