DROGARATI CAVES AND MELISSANI LAKE
Release the explorer within you and visit the Drogarati caves and Melissani lake, one of the 10 most beautiful underground lakes in the world. The “room of the apotheosis”, a cave with perfect acoustics, 100 meters below ground, is a frequently used concert venue. Maria Callas herself also once sang here.
- Mount Ainos
- Drogarati Caves
- Melissani Lake
- Up to Mount Ainos to reach the Drogarati Caves and Melissani Lake. Are you ready to discover the mysteries of the underground? The god Pan, a satyr-like deity associated with the woods and nature, was worshipped here. Also here the stalactites and stalagmites create an evocative atmosphere. Do you know how long it takes for stalactites to grow downwards? They are estimated to grow by 2 millimeters every 10 years. Think how many millions of years it has taken to create this spectacle.
- The Melissani Lake is an underground lake where the rays of sunlight that filter through since a collapse in the roof of the cave create dancing lights on the water. We'll board a small rowing boat to admire this wonder of nature. Ancient relics of Minoan culture have been discovered in the cave.
- On the way back, a brief stop will give you a chance to photograph the blue sea and the beach at Myrtos.
Good to know
- The excursion to the Drogarati caves includes some steps along the way.
- The excursion is unsuitable for pregnant women.
- The temperature in the cave is a constant 18° with 90% humidity.
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions in order to safeguard your health and comply with regulations and the safety protocol.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.