THE MARVELS OF THE ÅKRAFJORDEN
Panorama, Nature, Meal included
This excursion in the Åkrafjorden offers a combination of natural beauty and art, with the Langfoss waterfall – the fifth-highest in Norway – steep mountain slopes, rich pastures, the still, silent fjords and famous artist Unni Marie.
What we will see
- Scenic tour and Åkrafjorden
- Haugesund, Norway’s prettiest city, and residential districts
- The Langfoss waterfall and the blue waters of the fjord
- Eljarvik Farm
- Ølen and the Unni Marie Rosemaling Centre, unique artworks and an enchanting garden
What we will do
- We set off on board our coach for a scenic tour that, over about an hour and a half, leads us towards the Åkrafjorden.
- First, we cut through Haugesund, passing the famous city hall – considered the most handsome in all of Norway – and a number of residential districts before heading into open country.
- Our first stop is a truly magical place, the Langfoss waterfall. With a total drop of 612 m, it is the fifth-highest waterfall in Norway, and was included in CNN’s list of the ten most beautiful waterfalls in the world, a judgement echoed in many other quarters.
- A boat will be waiting to whisk us across the blue waters of the fjord to the base of this natural wonder which, according to legend, has mysterious powers that can boost fertility.
- We disembark, then, at Eljarvik Farm – where we risk remaining spellbound by the breathtaking view of the falls – and enjoy a delicious lunch before boarding our coach once again.
- Our next stop is Ølen where we make a brief visit to Unni Marie Rosemaling, a one-of-a-kind structure that houses a tourist information office, a small shop and a workshop.
- Here, we find something rather unique waiting for us: Unni Marie is an internationally renowned artist who specialises in rosemaling (painting images of roses), a traditional art form in Norway that is on display both on the outside of the building and in the shop, where numerous items are available for purchase.
- We also visit the charming garden at the back of the house, which is tended by Unni Marie herself who, it turns out, also has green fingers.
- Our excursion has nearly reached its end, but it has one more treat in store, as we enjoy a little free time and a sightseeing tour of Haugesund.
What you need to know
- On this excursion we travel by coach, with a section by boat.
- The boat has indoor and outdoor seats. Please make sure to dress appropriately, and bring waterproof clothing to put on in case of bad weather.