VISIT TO SVARTISEN GLACIER
Sightseen, From 1 to 3 hours walking, 50
In a nutshell An exciting panoramic tour to capture the essence of the Norwegian scenery as our gaze wonders among picturesque fjords and the famous Svartisen glacier near the Arctic Circle: a truly thrilling experience!
Good to know
- Panoramic tour from Bodø to Engen
- Svartisen glacier
- We start our panoramic tour from Bodø on a coach headed south-west to Engen. On the way there, we have the chance to admire the coast between the two cities which, just like the entire northern Norwegian coast, is dotted with countless picturesque fjords.
- The abundance of fish inhabiting the waters around Bodø including cods, pollocks, seawolves and halibuts.
- As we stop to take a few photos, we have the chance to admire the Svartisen, an ancient glacier located north of the Arctic Circle. However, what we see is just a small part of it, as the Svartisen is the second largest glacier in Norway after Jostedal and is actually made up of two glaciers: Vestre Svartisen and Østre Svartisen. It is part of the Saltfjellet-Svartisen national park in Nordland.
- Located at only 20 metres above sea level, it is also the deepest glacier in continental Europe, making it easily accessible for walking excursions and experiences in direct contact with nature. The name “Svartisen” literally means “black glacier” and it is in fact known by the locals as “Black Ice Glacier”. There are various hypotheses on the origin of its name, but the most popular concerns it colour though, rather than black, it actually presents blue hues. The more the snow becomes compressed, the darker its colour, ranging from light blue to deeper nuances.
- After a delicious lunch, we continue our coach tour and head back to Bodø.
Good to know
- The excursion includes a coach journey of approximately 5 hours in total.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with limited mobility.