BRIKSDAL GLACIER WALK
Sightseen, Designed for families, Less than 1 hour walking, Family friendly, 50
you ever seen a glacier? This is exactly what we'll be doing on this tour - and not
just on any glacier either: the Briksdal,
a spectacular expanse of ice hidden among the magnificent Norwegian
- Village of Hellesylt and Hellesylt waterfall
- Lake Hornindalsvanet
- Nordfjord, villages of Stryn, Loen and Olden
- Briksdal Glacier and spectacular nature
- Mountain lodge near the glacier with a stop for lunch
- Road to Stryn, return trip via Geiranger, tunnels and panoramic viewpoint at Flydal Gorge
- Our excursion begins in the village of Hellesylt , where we can admire the majestic waterfall of the same name, whose waters cascade down to the shimmering emerald green and ultramarine blue fjord below.
- We continue our journey towards Hornindalsvanet which, at a depth of 514 metres, can claim to be Europe's deepest lake; before us lies the magnificent Nordfjord , alongside the road through the villages of Stryn, Loen and Olden. This fascinating village nestles at the bottom of the fjord and stretches along numerous lakes in the Olden Valley as far as the mountain lodge at the Briksdal Glacier.
- Our walk takes us through stunning nature to the Briksdal Glacier , a branch of the mighty Jstedalsbreen Glacier , the largest in Europe.
- At first, the path climbs and crosses over the waterfall on a wooden bridge.
- At this point we find ourselves standing face to face with the massive glacier.
- We'll then walk back the same way to the mountain lodge, where we'll enjoy an excellent lunch.
- Back on our journey, we cross the valley alongside the extraordinarily beautiful lake towards Stryn.
- We climb the mountain road to Stryn , which used to link eastern Norway with the west.
- Our return journey to Geiranger runs through quite a few tunnels, and we make a final stop at Flydal to take a few snapshots of our ship, waiting for us in the fjord.
Good to know
- This excursion involves long stretches (about 5 hours) of coach travel along winding roads.
- It is recommended to wear low healed, sturdy comfortable shoes as part the tour is a 1 1/2 hr hike on partly rocky path.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- Participants will rejoin the ship at Geiranger.