THE STONES OF MATERA
PasseparTour, Green-pass required, Culture
Matera, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and European Capital of Culture 2019, is the City of Stones. Nowhere else in the world will you find constructions like these, dug into the stone and regularly inhabited since prehistory. GREEN PASS IS REQUIRED FOR THIS EXCURSION, PLEASE CARRY IT WITH YOU. IN CASE YOU DO NOT HAVE IT, YOU CAN OBTAIN IT ONBOARD.
- Matera's alleys and houses dug out of the limestone
- ”Stones' and rock churches with frescoes
- From the port of Bari, you'll travel to Matera by bus. The city is truly astonishing. It is centuries old, with roots in the Bronze Age, enriched by a globally unique artistic and cultural heritage.
- Our local guide will accompany you on a tour through the narrow streets and past the houses dug out of the limestone rock. You'll visit the “Stones”, the two districts dug out of the Murgia stone which, together with over 100 rock churches, are considered a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Inhabited since prehistory up until the 1950s, this urban ecosystem has, over time, made expert use of natural resources like water, soil and energy. Mel Gibson found the right inspiration here to create the film set for the epic movie ”The Passion of the Christ”.
- Don't be surprised if you find many wooden nests among the Stones. They are used to help with the reproduction of the Lesser Kestrel, a symbol of Matera that is in danger of extinction.
Good to know
- The tour of the City of Stones includes a walk across rough ground.
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions in order to safeguard your health and comply with regulations and the safety protocol.