BARI BY BIKE
Culture, Divertimento, Tasting
Discover Bari and its hidden treasures on this bicycle tour. We explore Old Bari and the new part of the city, visiting the main monuments and getting a taste of the day-to-day life and the traditional local cuisine that pervade the city's characteristic alleys and enchanting medieval courts.
What we will see
- Bari's Seafront Promenade
- Basilica of Saint Nicholas and the Castle
- The New City
What we will do
- We leave the port and start our tour on our bikes riding along Bari's beautiful seafront, the elegant pride and glory of the city that winds its way up to the city gates. The Bari seafront promenade represents one of the most complete expressions of the urban transformation processes that took place during the fascist period and it boasts many imposing buildings, most of which were built during the1930s.
- Our itinerary takes us near the Basilica of Saint Nicholas - built in the Apulian Romanesque style during the Norman domination - where the relics of the famous patron saint of the city are preserved.
- We then come to the famous Castello Normanno-Svevo (Norman-Swabian Castle), a defensive bulwark of the old town that has come to symbolise the whole city. Built by the Normans in the 12th century, it was destroyed in 1156 and rebuilt at the behest of Frederick II between 1233 and 1240. The manor is one of the most interesting fortifications in the region, above all because of its strategic location. The castle, which is a fascinating example of a medieval construction, has numerous extensions that were built in successive periods. Today it hosts occasional events and temporary exhibitions.
- After this trip back in time, we have some free time to wander on foot into the new city, whose endless hustle and bustle and vitality have earned it the title of Southern Italy's second city.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.
- You need to be physically fit to take part in this excursion.
- Participants on this excursion will be required to wear a cycling helmet and sporty, closed-toe shoes.
- Minimum age: 10 years. Maximum age: 60 years.