LUNAR WALK ON THE VOLCANO
Panorama, PasseparTour, Nature
You'll feel like you're on another planet: with nothing around you but red rocks and black stratified lava.Climbing Mount Etna, the Mediterranean scrub and valley vineyards give way to a barren sci-fi landscape. You'll reach the Higher Silvestri Crater: from here there is even a view of the Gulf of Catania!
- Etna: Silvestri Craters
- Panoramic tour of Catania
- Known simply as “a muntagna” (the mountain) by locals, *Etna is the highest active terrestrial volcano' on the Eurasian plate. It has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Starting from the village of Nicolosi, you'll climb to the summit through vineyards and valleys of stratified lava. Eventually you'll find yourself in a lunar landscape**.
- Around 2,000 meters up you'll reach the Silvestri Mountains, two spent craters. The lower crater is easily accessible and you can even walk inside it.
- If you feel like it, you can even attempt the excursion to the higher crater. It is more strenuous and requires a little climbing, but it's worth the effort: once at the top, you'll see the lower crater with its reddish colors and, in the distance, the Gulf of Catania.
- The tour ends with a sightseeing visit to the old town of Catania, along via Etnea, the main road.
Good to know
- The tour may be canceled in bad weather.