4x4 ADVENTURE ON MOUNT ETNA
Panorama, Nature, 1
The most exciting way to visit Etna? In a 4x4! Among lava formations and villages built on the slopes of the volcano, you'll also travel on a Forestry Corps dirt road. A stop to taste almond paste and zibibbo wine and you're off again.
- Milo, a village in the Etna National Park
- Fornazzo, voted the Ideal Italian Village in 1992
- Forestry Corps dirt road near Dagala del Re
- Sartorius Mountains
- Tasting of almond paste and zibibbo wine
- 4x4 trip to Milo, a village in the Etna National Park, with our guide. We are 750 meters above sea level: from here you can admire the whole landscape from Catania to Taormina. And as you're in a 4x4, you can climb even higher towards Fornazzo, a hamlet of Milo, voted the Ideal Italian Village.
- Close to Dagala del Re, a district of Santa Venerina, you'll be bounced around a little on a dirt road created by the Forestry Corps. The name Dagala, believed to be of Arab origin, could mean “strip of fertile land between two lava flows”. In fact the district is surrounded by lava rocks.
- You'll stop at a refuge for a sweet break with almond paste, a local delicacy, and a glass of zibibbo, the Sicilian fortified wine.
- The off-road trip then continues towards the Sartorius Mountains. These are spent craters formed during the lava flow of 1865. Here you'll go hiking along an Etna National Park nature trail. You'll see woods of “Betula aetnensis”, an endemic Etna birch, and the so-called “volcanic bombs”, drops of solidified lava that look like black asteroids. At the end, you'll be able to brag to all your friends that you can list all the plant species in the area.
Good to know
- We recommend that you wear warm clothing and closed shoes suitable for the itinerary.
- With a certified English-speaking guide.
- Minimum age: 8 years.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.