St. Denis – Le Port
SIGHTSEEING TOUR OF RÉUNION, FROM THE SHORE TO THE SUMMIT OF THE VOLCANO (ends at the airport)
Giro turistico, Naturrundtur, Meal included
A real-life, active volcano, towering over the tropical island of Réunion at over 2,000 metres in height: on this excursion, our destination is nothing if not spectacular. Our journey will take us through a lunar landscape of frozen lava – truly an otherworldly experience. Fortunately, there is also a delicious lunch of traditional Creole cooking to bring us back down to earth. What better way to say farewell to the island before heading to the airport!
What we will see
- The Piton de la Fournaise volcano
- Route des Tamarins
- Plaine des Cafres
- The village of Bourg-Murat
- Pas de Bellecombe
- Plaine des Sables
- The Enclos Fouqué caldera
- Lunch at a restaurant
- The La Cité du Volcan museum
- Airport transfer
What we will do
- We leave Le Port by coach, heading inland in the direction of one of Réunion’s most iconic features, the Piton de la Fournaise volcano, one of the most active volcanoes on the planet. Indeed, it holds the world record for the frequency of its eruptions.
- Following the spectacular Route des Tamarins, we cut through the villages of Saint-Pierre and Le Tampon before reaching the Plaine des Cafres, a fertile plain that is one of the richest areas on the island in terms of both culture and farming.
- It is here that we begin our climb up the slopes of the volcano, heading first to the village of Bourg Murat which, at 1,600 metres above sea level, is the most elevated inhabited settlement on the island.
- We continue our ascent, reaching the Pas de Bellecombe at an altitude of 2,300 metres.
- Our climb is rewarded, here, with enchanting views of the vast stretch of red and black detritus known as the Plaine des Sables – the Plain of the Sands – a moon-like landscape that demonstrates just how atypical a tropical island Réunion is.
- Having crossed the Plaine des Sables, we climb even higher, skirting ancient craters to reach the highest rim, which borders the central Enclos Fouqué caldera. From the viewing terrace – another 300 metres’ climb – we can admire the Formica Léo crater and the Piton de la Fournaise.
- We return to Bourg Murat for lunch at a restaurant serving traditional Creole dishes.
- In the afternoon we visit the new volcano museum: La Cité du Volcan. With 6,000 m² of exhibit space, this decidedly modern museum employs the latest technology to provide a thorough introduction to the world of volcanoes.
- Following our visit to the Museum, we head back along the coast to the airport, where this thrilling excurion terminates.
What you need to know
- The route is quite sinuous.
- We advise you to bring adequate clothes as you will go up to an altitude of more than 2.000m.
- Guests with blood pressure or heart conditions are advised this excursion may not be suitable.
- The means of transportation may vary and some may not have air conditioning.
- Please bring sun block.
- As the number of places is limited, we recommended you to reserve in advance.
- The meteorological conditions may suddenly change and the visibility may decline.
- There are a limited number of English speaking guides; should no guides be available excursions will be led in French.
- This tour is sold to guests with flights departing after 8:30 p.m. from La Reunion Airport.