St. Denis – Le Port
EXPERIENCE TOUR – THE VOLCANIC HEART OF RÉUNION
Giro turistico, Naturrundtur, Meal included
A thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to literally travel into the the volcanic heart of the island: indulging in some light caving, we explore tunnels in the frozen lava and discover an enchanting underground world. Waiting for us, back in the open air, is a delicious restaurant lunch and the chance to do a little shopping.
What we will see
- The Grand Brûlé
- Piton de la Fournaise
- Excursion over, and into, the lava flows
- Traditional lunch at a restaurant
- Cap Méchant
- Shopping in St Pierre covered market
What we will do
- We set off from the port by coach and head south, crossing the whole island to the cape on the opposite side and the town of Saint-Philippe.
- From here, we push into the area known as the Grand Brûlé, the coastal strip along the most recent caldera to be formed by the Piton de la Fournaise volcano. It is a moon-like landscape where the power of the volcano is visible for all to see. Centuries of eruptions have lent the landscape here an extraordinary appearance that is sure to capture your imagination.
- Our guide will be waiting for us as we approach the volcano. After a short description of the route we are about to take, we set off on our own fairy-tale journey over, and into, the frozen streams of lava.
- Leaving the basalt rocks of the surface behind us, we are given a taste of caving, as we venture into the tunnels that criss-cross the volcanic rock covering the Piton de la Fournaise. Awaiting us among the caves and tunnels is an unforgettable mineral landscape of stalactites, stalagmites and pillars of rock.
- Emerging from the bowels of the earth, we make our way to a restaurant serving traditional Creole cooking to recharge our batteries over a delicious lunch.
- Before to come back to the ship, we will enjoy the view of Cap Méchant and we will stop at the St. Pierre market.
What you need to know
- Places are limited, so please book early.
- The means of transportation may vary and are of local standard; some may not have air conditioning.
- The tour order may vary.
- This excursion is not recommended for people with walking difficulties.
- Guests with blood pressure, heart conditions or who suffer from claustrophobia and asthma are advised this excursion may not be suitable.
- The meteorological conditions may suddenly change and the visibility may be reduced.
- Restaurants and toilets may be of a local standard.
- This tour does not feature a guide but there will be a local escort present.
- This excursion is reserved for guests who do not disembark in La Reunion.