TOUR OF BRINDISI: GATE TO THE ORIENT
Let us discover Brindisi, an ancient city of Greek origin also known as the Gate to the Orient thanks to its strategic position for maritime trade. Let’s delve into its long history, retracing it through its most significant monuments.
What we will see
- Church of Santa Maria del Casale
- Brindisi city centre
- Virgil's Steps and Roman columns
- Aragonese Castle and church of San Giovanni al Sepolcro
- Church of San Benedetto and Piazza Duomo
- San Pietro degli Schiavoni neighbourhood
What we will do
- After leaving the port by coach, we reach Brindisi centre for a tour of this amazing city in Puglia.
- Along the way, we admire the church of Santa Maria del Casale dating back to the 13th century and whose façade is a perfect example of the Gothic-Romanesque period. * Once in the city centre, we continue our tour climbing Virgil’s Steps, named after the place where poet Publius Vergilius Maro's house used to be, up to Brindisi’s Roman columns, once considered the end of the Appian Way and which actually used to be part of an ancient Roman monumental area. * We raise our eyes to the Aragonese Castle, a fortress built in 1445 on an island off the harbour, and head towards the church of San Giovanni al Sepolcro, which charms tourists with its circular shape and origins linked to the Templars.
- We continue with the church of San Benedetto, built by the Normans between the late 11th and early 12th centuries, and Piazza Duomo, the most ancient in the city boasting famous monuments such as the cathedral, the portico Dè Cateniano, Archaeological Museum and Palazzo Balsamo. * We finally reach the historic neighbourhood of San Pietro degli Schiavoni, where we can admire the remains of Roman Brindisi with its cobbled alleyways, palaces and spas.
What you need to know
- In order to guarantee the health of our guests, in compliance with the regulations and the respect of the safety protocol, the itineraries and the duration of the excursions may be subject to changes, even if not substantial.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.