PISA AND ITS PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI
Splendid Romanesque architecture, harmoniously fused with Gothic, Renaissance and seventeenth-century buildings: prepare to be amazed by the jewel of the ancient Maritime Republic of Pisa, the Piazza dei Miracoli.
What we will see
- Piazza del Duomo
- Pisa's Duomo
- The Leaning Tower
What we will do
- Leaving the port of La Spezia behind, we set off for Pisa, where we have all the time we need to tour round the ancient Maritime Republic.
- Our tour guide will lead us on an historic itinerary based on the famous Piazza del Duomo, better known as Piazza dei Miracoli. This was the name given to it by Gabriele D'Annunzio in recognition of the splendour of a place where the glowing whiteness of the marble buildings which appear to spring from the grassy carpet of the square offers visitors a spectacle like no other.
- Our discovery of the white splendour of Piazza dei Miracoli begins with the Duomo, the highest expression of Pisan Romanesque architecture, in which the classical tradition is filtered through the experiences of the early Church, incorporating Lombard and Byzantine motifs and influences from the Arab and Norman world, to wondrous effect.
- We can't fail to stop and admire the famous Leaning Tower, an imposing structure that appears almost weightless thanks to storey after storey of graceful arches. Here a photo is practically obligatory.
- Finally, we continue to the Baptistry, home to many artistic masterpieces of immense value.
- Before leaving the city at the end of our guided tour we have some free time to spend in this gem of a square.
What you need to know
- Our guide will join the excursion directly in Pisa.
- This excursion is conducted mainly on foot, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship to be visited is recommended.