THE HISTORIC CITY CENTRE OF FLORENCE AND PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI IN PISA
Panorama, Culture, Lunch not included
A unique excursion to enjoy the art, architecture and overall splendour of two iconic Tuscan cities that have become symbols Italy for people the world over: Florence and Pisa.
What we will see
- Florence: Santa Maria del Fiore, Piazza della Signoria, Ponte Vecchio, Piazza Santa Croce and Basilica
- Piazza dei Miracoli, Cathedral and Baptistry
What we will do
- Setting off by coach from the port of Livorno we arrive in Florence, which became the capital of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany under the de' Medici family, confirming its position as an economic power of great artistic, cultural and political energy.
- Our walk begins in the centre, now a pedestrianised area. Our tour guide will show us around the magnificent complex of Santa Maria del Fiore, where we can admire the exterior of the Duomo, the Baptistery and the Bell Tower designed by Giotto.
- Continuing our walk through the famous streets of the city centre, we come to Piazza della Signoria, where we can admire the Gothic masterpiece, Palazzo Vecchio, which houses numerous artistic treasures, and the Loggia dei Lanzi, a true open-air museum, which still preserves some wonderful masterpieces of sculpture.
- We continue to the Ponte Vecchio, then head for Piazza Santa Croce with its magnificent Basilica, the final resting place of Michelangelo.
- Together with our guide, we return to the coach and head for Pisa. The cornerstone of the city's precious artistic and architectural heritage is Piazza dei Miracoli where the glowing whiteness of the marble buildings which appear to spring from the grassy carpet of the square offers visitors a spectacle like no other.
- Our immersion in the pure, white magnificence of Piazza dei Miracoli begins at the Cathedral, the highest expression of Pisan Romanesque architecture.
- We can't fail to stop and admire the famous Leaning Tower, an imposing structure that appears almost weightless thanks to storey after storey of graceful arches. Here a photo is practically obligatory.
- Finally, we continue to the Baptistry, home to many artistic masterpieces of immense value.
- With the beauty of Florence and Pisa lingering in our eyes and in our minds, we board the coach again to head back to the ship.
What you need to know
- This excursion is conducted mainly on foot, it is therefore recommended to wear comfortable shoes.
- Due to time restrictions, guided tours inside the monuments are not permitted in Pisa.