SIGHTSEEING CRUISE TO MUNKHOLMEN ISLAND
Panorama, Nature, Tasting
A spectacular sightseeing cruise offering us the chance to explore the island of Munkholmen, its ancient history and the alternating dwellings that have characterised it over the course of the centuries, and admire the city of Trondheim from a privileged viewpoint.
What we will see
- Munkholmen island
- Tyholt Tower
- Coffee in the rotating restaurant with incredible views
What we will do
- We will leave the quay on a river boat to embark on a sightseeing tour of the city of Trondheim. We will admire the typical wooden houses and the Nidarosdomen cathedral or 'Nidaros Cathedral'. It was built in a Romanesque-Gothic style on the orders of King Olaf II of Norway and is now an important stop for pilgrims in Northern Europe. Trondheim is the third largest city in Norway and is known for its vibrant culture with various genres of music festivals and gastronomic fairs.
- Our boat will then take us to Munkholmen (or 'Monk's Island'), an islet in the middle of the Trondheim fjord. The island is one of Trondheim inhabitants' favourite destinations for a picnic or a beach day by the sea. Munkholmen's history dates back to the year 1000 when the city was established by the Vikings. It then became the site of an important Benedictine monastery, giving rise to the name 'Monk's Island'. In the late 17th century, a fort was built on the island and can still be seen and visited today, although it is now used as a prison. When the Nazis invaded Norway in 1940, the fort was transformed into a military base and still shows signs of Nazi occupation. We will get back onto dry land where we can enjoy some free time and explore the island, paying a visit to the monastery.
- When we get back to Trondheim, the coach will take us towards Tyholt Tower, which can be seen from anywhere in the city. The tower is 124 metres tall and was built in 1985 following the design of architect Nils Christian. At the top of the tower there is a rotating restaurant with panoramic views standing 80 metres tall. It completes a full turn every hour and is famous for the views it boasts. We can relax and enjoy a coffee there, admiring the spectacular view of the fjord.
- We will end our excursion with a sightseeing tour of the city before returning to the dock.