ADVENTURE IN A 4X4 VEHICLE AND A VISIT TO THE BEACH
Active & adventurous, Less than 1 hour walking
Discover the unspoiled wild beauty of Bonaire on an adventurous tour in a 4X4 vehicle that also includes a visit to the beach for a refreshing swim in the crystal clear waters of the sea that will be an opportunity to learn more about the history of the island.
- Excursion in a 4x4 vehicle
- East coast of Bonaire
- Stop at Sorobon Beach
- Willemstoren lighthouse
- Slave huts
- Salinas and pink flamingos
- Our adventure begins at the port where we are met by a guide before boarding our off-road 4X4 vehicles and starting our tour of the east coast of Bonaire.
- We are soon driving on dirt tracks exploring this wild stretch of coastline, dotted with giant cacti, where we can also see wild donkeys and iguanas.
- Our destination is Sorobon Beach, a beach that is very popular with surfing enthusiasts, whom we can watch as they perform their routines powered by the trade winds in the shallow waters. We take this opportunity to go for a swim the warm waters of the Caribbean or to have a cool drink.
- We resume our journey on asphalted roads and drive past the Willemstoren lighthouse, the oldest lighthouse in Bonaire, which was built in 1838 to guide ships transporting salt.
- Along the journey we see the restored stone slave huts, where hundreds of people were forced to live while working in the salinas until the 19th century.
- If we look more carefully we can see the pink flamingos that populate the saltwater lagoons, while our guide tells us all about the production of salt in the island of Bonaire which started in the 17th century and which is still one of the main local industries.
- We then proceed through the Belnem area to return to Kralendijk and the cruise liner terminal.
Good to know
- The itinerary may be subject to change.
- The off-road 4X4 vehicles have an overhead sunshield, open sides and do not have air-conditioning.
- Comfortable footwear and clothing are recommended.
- Do not forget to bring sun cream.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with neck or back problems and pregnant women.
- Depending on the rainfall, the dirt roads may be dusty or muddy.
- The sighting of wild fauna is very likely but not guaranteed.
- Participants must be at least 12 years of age.