DISCOVERING BONAIRE AND RELAXING ON THE BEACH
Relax, Less than 1 hour walking, 51
An excursion that offers the perfect combination of discovery and fun. We will explore the local history, visiting some significant sites, we will admire the island's natural beauty and then relax on the beach.
- Sightseeing tour of the south of the island
- Salt pans
- Pink flamingo reserve
- Slave huts
- Willemstoren lighthouse
- Welcome cocktail and relaxation on the beach
- We will start our excursion with a pleasant sightseeing tour of the south of the island. It is completely flat and boasts a succession of mangroves, salt lakes and deserted forests which create a varied and unique landscape.
- We will head to the vast salt pans where the water that evaporates and releases the salt takes on a host of different pinkish shades that contrast with the blue sky and the sparkling white of the salt pyramids.
- Thanks to our guide's explanations, we will learn a lot of interesting information about salt production on the island of Bonaire, which began in the 17th century and is still one of the main local economic activities.
- The salt pan district is also home to a nature reserve where pink flamingoes nest, which our guide will point out to us at the right time.
- We will visit the restored stone slave huts where, up until the 19th century, hundreds of people were forced to live whilst they worked on the salt pans.
- When we reach the southern tip of the island, we will stop at Willemstoren lighthouse to take photos. It is the oldest lighthouse in Bonaire, built in 1838 to guide the ships that transported salt, and it is named after king Willem Alexander.
- Then we will head to the last destination on our excursion, the Delfins Resort Bonaire. When we arrive, we will be served a welcome cocktail. You can stretch out and laze on our sun loungers, caressed by a gentle breeze, go snorkelling or enjoy a swim in the pool and set the world to rights whilst sipping an ice-cold beer.
Good to know
- Wet shoes are recommended for swimming in the sea.
- Snorkelling equipment can be hired on the beach.
- Do not forget to bring your bathing costume, sun cream and your camera. ?