A WALK THROUGH IBIZA’S CHARMING OLD TOWN
A walking tour of the beautiful old town of the most elite island in the Mediterranean, with its enchanting panoramic views, cobbled streets and places revealing over 2,500 years of history.
What we will see
- Old town
- Dalt Vila
- Nuestra Señora de las Nieves Cathedral
- Santo Domingo Church
- Statue of Isidor Macabich
- Placa de Vila
- Portal de Ses Taules
What we will do
- Our comfortable shuttle service will take us on a short journey to Ibiza old town. The Catalans call it “Evissa”, which is derived from “Ibossim” used by the Phoenicians in the 7th century BC. A UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1999, the town lies on the south-east coast of the island and overlooks a natural bay, which is home to a port.
- We will start our tour on foot as there is no better way to explore Dalt Vila - the old town - and its steep, narrow streets. We will see how the ancient fortified site has developed over time, evolving to meet the city’s defensive needs.
- We will walk through the old town, winding through the cobbled streets polished over time by travellers’ footsteps. Slightly ajar sturdy wooden doors reveal spacious courtyards and private chapels. The road that leads to the cathedral is dotted with souvenir shops, and art galleries open up like treasure chests guarding original works of art by talented local artisans.
- We will walk past Nuestra Señora de las Nieves, amazed by the blend of Gothic and Baroque styles, which tell of the history of the island’s cathedral. We will also admire Santo Domingo church with its red tiled domes dating back to the 16th century, and the statue of Isidor Macabich, Ibiza’s famous poet.
- Our tour will end in the heart of the town, where we will come to an ancient cobbled courtyard that leads to Placa de Vila, the main square. Before returning to the ship, we can’t help but admire the majestic Portal de Ses Taules, the spectacular main entrance with a drawbridge and mighty Roman statues on either side.
What you need to know
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with limited mobility.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- The excursion may take place in the morning or afternoon.?