TOUR OF KOTKA AND VISIT TO THE VELLAMO MARITIME CENTRE
In a nutshell An excursion dedicated entirely to the city of Kotka to discover its history, main monuments and ancient traditions connected to maritime culture and navigation in often prohibitive conditions.
Good to know
- Church of Kotka
- Sapokka gardens
- Vellamo Maritime Centre
- Museum of Kymenlaakso
- Maritime museum
- We leave the port behind us and venture on a sightseeing tour of Kotka, a picturesque city with a long-standing maritime tradition located at the estuary of the Kymijoki river. Its position on the Baltic Sea, surrounded by a marvellous archipelago, made it a major trading centre for the region for centuries.
- Our first stop is the church of Kotka, inaugurated in 1898. Its colourful windows, ornamental pillows and stunning incisions are a true feast for the eyes.
- We then have some free time to explore the lovely Sapokka gardens, a large oasis inside the city featuring streams, waterfalls, bridges, paths and lush greenery.
- Our next stop is a true temple of modern architecture - the Vellamo Maritime Centre, a multifunctional centre along the old quay. The facility is home to two museums. The Museum of Kymenlaakso displays a collection of artefacts from the 1920s with the objective of illustrating and studying the cultural roots of the city of Kotka and the surrounding region, thanks also to its ample photo archive.
- The Maritime Museum, also located within the centre, displays artefacts, photographs, archive material and books on navigation and maritime culture, with sections dedicated to sea trade, voyagers, ships and navigation during winter months.
Good to know