IN THE HEART OF THE VOLCANO
Active & adventurous, From 1 to 3 hours walking, 52
In a nutshell A truly unique and astounding experience! We will descend into the depths of a dormant volcano, the only one in the world where visitors can enter the magma chamber.
Good to know
- Thrihnukagigur volcano
- Hike over lava fields
- Descent into the magma chamber
- Views of Reykjavík and the Reykjanes peninsula
- We will leave Reykjavík by coach and after a 30-minute journey we will catch sight of Thrihnukagigur volcano, which looms in the distance from the meeting point where our excursion starts.
- Guides will be by our sides revealing fascinating facts and ensuring our safety as we embark on a hike across the lunar landscape of the lava field, and after around 50 minutes we will reach our destination.
- The mouth of the dormant volcano will appear before us, and as the adrenaline starts to kick in we will prepare to descend into the magma chamber on an exposed lift.
- In groups of no more than 6-7 people, we will step onto the platform and descend into the heart of the volcano. An incredible display of colour will greet our eyes. The rocky walls are completely covered in countless shimmering striations ranging from magenta red to cobalt blue and mustard yellow.
- Once we reach the bottom of the chamber, 120 metres deep, we will have around 40 minutes to explore the cave and take unforgettable photos, never forgetting that we are in the depths of an active volcano.
- We will be taken back up to the surface with unforgettable emotions and memories and start our return journey, taking in the beautiful panoramic views of Reykjavík and the Reykjanes peninsula.
Good to know
- No prior hiking experience is required but the excursion does include a long section on foot on bumpy paths; it is therefore not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- We recommend wearing robust hiking shoes and warm, waterproof clothing (avoid jeans) because the conditions in the mountains can be cold and windy, and the temperature in the crater is 5-6°C.
- The volcano and its vegetation are a vulnerable habitat, therefore we ask you to respect the environment during the excursion.
- Leaving rubbish is strictly prohibited.
- Rocks and stones may not be removed to take home as souvenirs.
- Minimum age: 12 years.
- The transfer from the ship to the starting point of the trek is not guided