MONTALBANO ELICONA: THE MOST BEAUTIFUL TOWN IN ITALY
Green-pass required, Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking
Enjoy a tour that starts from a mysterious prehistoric astronomic observatory and takes you to Montalbano Elicona, the 2015 town of towns. Stroll among medieval buildings and streets where time seems to stand still, climb up to the Federico II Castle, then visit the Cathedral, on which a special honor was bestowed by the Pope.
- Montalbano Elicona
- Medieval old town
- Swabian-Aragonese Castle
- We'll set off for Montalbano Elicona, known by the Latins as “Mons Albus” or white mountain, and in Sicilian as “Muntarbanu”. Our guide will reveal the secrets of a place that seems enchanted.
- The first mystery is the Argimusco: a plain surmounted by anthropomorphic and zoomorphic monoliths, the traces, perhaps, of an actual prehistoric center of astronomy.
- An uphill path between medieval houses, walls and cobbled streets takes you to the town center. The atmosphere is unique, so much so that Montalbano Elicona was named the 2015 Town of Towns.
- The ancient Swabian-Aragonese Castle from 1300 was built by King Frederick II of Aragon at the highest point in the city: all the rooms are well-preserved and gazing over the valley you'll feel like a nobleman at court.
- It's time to visit the Maria Assunta in Cielo Basilica, the city's cathedral. Built in the 12th century, it was elevated to a minor Basilica by Pope John Paul II in 1997 and is home to an interesting painting of the Last Supper.
Good to know
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions in order to protect your health and to comply with regulations and the safety protocol.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.