TINDARI, WHAT A HISTORY
Green-pass required, Culture & local gems , Less than 1 hour walking
The guided tour of Tindari is a journey through time that begins with Greek mythology and ends with a great art festival. Explore the ancient “Tyndaris”, discover the history of a Greek Theater that saw actors and gladiators on stage, the legend of the Black Virgin, the scenery of the Gulf of Patti and the world-famous Marinello Lakes.
- Bay of Patti
- Archaeological area: Graeco-Roman Theater, Spa, Gymnasium
- Shrine of the Black Madonna
- Marinello Lakes: seen from the Shrine
- Follow our guide to discover Tindari, on the northern coast of Sicily. A legendary place even in its name, inspired by Tyndareus, king of Sparta and reputedly the father of Helena.
- From the bus, you'll see the Bay of Patti with the Aeolian Islands in the distance, so beautiful that it was the setting for an episode of Andrea Camilleri's Montalbano.
- Explore the ancient town of “Tyndaris”, established around 396 BC and an archaeological gem, with a mix of Greek and Roman ruins, from the Spa to the Gymnasium.
- Not forgetting the Greek Theater from the 4th century BC, a masterpiece of acoustic engineering. Originally a venue for Greek tragedies and gladiatorial games, since 1956 it has hosted the Festival of the Two Seas.
- Proceed to the Shrine of the Black Madonna, a Byzantine site built on a headland overlooking the Marinello Lakes nature reserve. Legend has it that the sculpture came to shore in Tindari during a storm and that it never wanted to leave, blocking the ship that transported it into port. How could anyone blame her?
Good to know
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions in order to protect your health and to comply with regulations and the safety protocol.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.