MYSTERIES OF PALERMO
Prepare to discover the mysteries of Palermo on a scenic tour. Learn about the interesting facts and legends connected with its symbolic places on a route that leads from the Politeama Theater to the Cathedral, across Piazza Pretoria. Do you feel like descending into the Capuchin Catacombs? Expect to see thousands of fully dressed, embalmed bodies.
- Main monuments: Politeama Theater, Massimo Theater, Royal Palace (external visit)
- Capuchin Catacombs
- Palermo Cathedral
- The most beautiful monuments of Palermo on a panoramic tour * From the Politeama Theater, which has hosted boxing matches, a cinema and even a circus, to the Massimo Theater, which now hosts the city's opera season.
- You'll also pass in front of the Royal Palace, the most ancient royal residence in Europe. And then the Capuchin Catacombs, where you'll see the mummified bodies of monks, noblemen and citizens who died between the 17th and 19th centuries. The last corpse was received here in 1920. It is the body of the young Rosalia Lombardo, now known as the most beautiful mummy in the world.
- The last stop is Palermo Cathedral, where you'll see the tombs of the Norman kings. There are many mysteries attached to these. Will we ever know, for example, the identity of the other two bodies found in the sarcophagus of Frederick II, the “stupor mundi”?
Good to know
- The visit to the Capuchin Catacombs is not suitable for children and anyone who is impressionable.