THE LEGENDS OF CASTIGLIONE DI SICILIA
Strolling freely around Castiglione di Sicilia, one of the most beautiful villages in Italy. In front of you the Alcantara valley with its gorges, a land of legends and culinary excellence. We'll leave you to discover what “sciauni” and “cuddureddi” are, while the locals tell you stories about this medieval village.
- Castiglione di Sicilia: vineyards, olive groves and the old town
- You're in the medieval town of Castiglione di Sicilia, perched 600 meters high on the northern side of Mount Etna.
- Who knows if the legend is true that the wrath of the Gods was unleashed on the Alcantara valley to punish a dishonest farmer? We like to believe it. The lava flows met the river water, creating this unique geographical area.
- The soil here is fertile and perfect for vineyards. There are now over 50 wineries that produce and market wines on international markets. But the gastronomic delights don't stop at wine, the territory produces olive oil, hazelnuts, cheese and candies. Among the classics are almond paste desserts, “sciauni”, fresh ricotta fritters, and “cuddureddi”, rice donuts which you can buy in the local stores.
- Find out in her hometown if the beautiful Angelina managed to marry the French dauphin she was in love with, and who loved her in return. She might have been the daughter of Roger of Lauria, enemy of the French, whose castle has dominated the walled town since the 12th century.
Good to know
- During the tour, a local guide will provide assistance and information in Italian and English.
- Please note that the town's local authority offers the opportunity to purchase a tourist package directly on site, subject to availability from the local tourist board, so please speak to the relevant staff on arrival in the town. The local guide traveling with you on the bus will provide general information about the town and information on how to purchase the package provided by the local tourist board.