Panorama, Culture, Lunch not included
A tour upon the discovery of a relatively unknown European pearl: the fascinating architectural variety of the capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana.
What we will see
- Historic centre of Ljubljana: old city, Cathedral of San Nicola, Archbishop's Palace, Seminary Palace
- Butcher's Bridge, Market Square, Presernov Square and Church of the Annunciation
- Triple Bridge, Congress Square, University, Philharmonic Society Building and Church of the Ursuline
What we will do
- Upon arriving in Ljubljana, we will leave the coach and set off to explore the city. Our first stop is the historic centre, which lies at the feet of Castle Hill and where the Baroque architectural style and Art Nouveau fuse (which in Ljubljana, under the influence of current Viennese artistic trends, is known as Sezzesion).
- Accompanied by our guide, we will walk through the old city, which stands on the bank of the Ljubljana River, the only part of the city which survived the earthquake in 1895. This is the city's most important area, which boasts the most attractions, coffee bars and bars.
- The tour continues with a guided visit upon the discovery of the hidden treasures of this picturesque city: the Cathedral of St. Nicholas, the only cathedral in Ljubljana, which is easily glimpsed within the city with its green dome and two towers, the Bishop’s Palace and the Seminary Palace, which is home to the magnificent two storey library.
- We will continue on our visit and allow ourselves to be charmed by Butcher's Bridge, one of the most famous images of the city, from Market Square and from Presernov Square , dominated by the Franciscan Monastery with the Church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary.
- After having admired the Triple Bridge, we will head to Congress Square, where the headquarters of the University, the Philharmonic Society building tower, in all its renewed splendour following its recent restoration and the Church of the Ursuline.
- At the end of the visit we'll have some free time to calmly explore the old city.
- At the end of the excursion we return to Trieste.
What you need to know
- The coach transfer from Trieste to Lubiana takes approximately 2 hours each way.
- You need a passport or a photo ID document to cross the border.
- This excursion is available both for guests in transit and guests disembarking in the Port of Trieste.
- In the event that Trieste is your port of disembarkation, you should contact the Excursions Office on board to check the compatibility of the excursion with the time of your return transfer.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- When one of the churches is being used for religious ceremonies, our tour will be limited to the exterior of the building.