FIVE SENSES OF SANTORINI
Sight, with the view of the caldera from the cliff top village of Oia. Taste, with a typical Greek lunch accompanied by local wines near the village of Kamari. Touch, when you feel the black sand on Perissa volcanic beach. We'll leave you to discover the other senses... all you need to know is that we'll take you to Akrotiri, the Greek Pompeii, and to Fira.
- Akrotiri: the Minoan Pompeii
- Village of Oia and its view of the caldera
- Kamari: photo stop
- Local lunch at Exo Gonia, near Kamari
- Mount of the Prophet Elijah, photo stop
- Perissa volcanic beach: panoramic view
- Fira, free time in the island's capital
- Go back in time to Akrotiri, a kind of “Greek Pompeii”, a Bronze Age Minoan settlement buried by volcanic ash after the eruption of Thera. Our guide will reveal all its secrets to you. Here's one example. The sewer system is complex and advanced for its time, with ceramic pipes embedded into the house walls that come up to the main road.
- Awaiting you next will be Oia, perched on the cliffs, with its white houses and blue domes. Set off with your smartphone fully charged as you'll risk running low on battery with all the selfies you'll take with the caldera in the background.
- Vines have been grown here since ancient times, in fact the 300-year-old vineyards are among the oldest in Europe. In the village of Exo Gonia, you'll taste traditional Greek cuisine with melitzanosalata, which isn't a tongue twister but an eggplant salad. There will of course be some local wine, strictly from the Assyrtiko vineyard.
- The rest of the tour will take you to Fira, with its architecture that combines Venetian and Cycladic styles. Here you'll have free time to spend at your leisure. And, if you like, you can return to the ship by cable car. The fare is on us.
Good to know
- Before booking the excursion or once on board, contact the excursion office to check the availability of vegetarian or gluten-free dishes and to report any food intolerances.
- The tour ends in Fira. You can return to the ship using the tender service by the “all onboard” time stated in the Diario di Bordo.
- To reach the tender station you can travel by cable car or on foot. The cable car fare is included in the excursion price.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.