THE HISTORICAL HERITAGE OF QATAR
In a nutshell Let us discover Qatar’s historical heritage with a sightseeing tour to appreciate and visit interesting archaeological and architectural sites.
Good to know
- Inland sightseeing tour
- Al Zubarah fort
- Barzan towers
- We leave the port behind us and head north-west on our inland sightseeing tour to discover the less-known side of Qatar away from the palaces and streets of Doha.
- Our destination is the Al Zubarah fort, located in an archaeological site covering 60 hectares and comprising of an entire city overlooking the sea and declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- We explore the fort which is to this day surrounded by archaeological excavations to discover its secrets. Dating back to the 18th-19th centuries, it is characterised by thick walls and a magnificent façade featuring numerous architectural and decorative elements.
- We then head back to Doha and make a stop to admire the Barzan towers, the best-preserved fort in the country dating back to the 18th-19th centuries.
- Probably used as watchtowers to protect the local water springs and as an observatory to determine moon calendar dates, the towers were recently restored so we can admire them in all their glory.
- They are located near a mosque and a madrasa (school) and are a testament to two different architectural styles: the eastern tower was built in the traditional style of Qatar, while the western one features unique characteristics.
Good to know
- We recommend wearing clothing is that is suitable for the culture of a Muslim country.
- We recommend asking permission before taking photos of the local population, especially of women and elderly people.
- The excursion may take place in the
morning or in the afternoon.