NORTHUMBERLAND COAST AND ALNWICK CASTLE
In a nutshell We travel along the amazing Northumberland coast, which provides enchanting views of the sea between peaceful beaches and gentle hills dotted with picturesque castles. We visit the most imposing of them: Alnwick Castle, which truly surprises us with its imposing walls and opulent halls.
Good to know
- Northumberland coast
- Whitley Bay and Ashington
- Amble, Alnmouth and Warkworth
- Alnwick castle
- Cheviot Hills
- A coach takes us on a fascinating sightseeing tour of the coast of Northumberland, picturesque and sparsely inhabited where lovely villages often overlooked by spectacular castles alternate with long deserted beaches.
- We head north along the coast passing by the fishing town of Whitley Bay, with its colourful houses overlooking the sea and large white lighthouse, and of Ashington, once famous for its coal mines.
- From here, the coast opens up in a series of peaceful beaches dotted with small characteristic fishing villages such as Amble, Alnmouth and Warkworth. The latter was built in the shade of a lovely castle now in ruin.
- We can see the remains of imposing fortresses that narrate the turbulent history of the region bordering Scotland. A land conquered by the Vikings and scene of countless battles with the neighbours.
- Our destination is the largest manor house in the region, the imposing Alnwick castle, residence of the Dukes of Northumberland ever since the early 14th century.
- We admire its majestic fortifications, imposting square and round towers, battlements and surrounding lawns.
- We visit the opulent halls - the sitting rooms, dining room, gatehouse and library are all richly decorated and furnished with a myriad of works of art hung on the walls, including paintings by Titian and Canaletto.
- After our visit, we continue our tour and take in charming rural views that include the gentle Cheviot Hills before heading back to Newcastle and to the ship.
Good to know
- Guided tours are not permitted inside the castle. Information will be provided outside.