THE BEST OF YORK
In a nutshell
Good to know
The ancient city of York reveals all its secret thanks to a guided tour of its amazing Gothic cathedral and a walk at our own leisure to explore alleyways, squares and monuments.
- Sightseeing tour towards York
- Gothic cathedral
- Free walk around the centre
- The Shambles
- City walls
- We leave the port of Newcastle behind us and get on a coach headed south along what used to be an old Roman road and is now the motorway running through rural landscapes of great beauty characterised by green hills, enchanted woods and grazing animals.
- We reach the ancient city of York, founded by the Romans, conquered by the Vikings and still surrounded by marvellous Medieval walls.
- Once in the centre, we go on a guided tour of the imposing Gothic cathedral, the largest in Europe built in this style. A true work of art that laves us speechless with its spires, two large richly-decorated towers and wide stained glass windows.
- Walking along the immense aisle - 32 metres tall and supported by thin columns - we enter the 13th-century chapter house, a sublime example of stone reliefs depicting over two hundred heads and expressions.
- After our visit, we have some free time to explore York on foot losing ourselves in the alleyways, visiting the monuments we choose and enjoying the unique atmosphere that characterises its streets and squares.
- A stone’s throw from the Cathedral we find The Shambles, often considered the best-preserved Medieval street in Europe where narrow timber buildings overlook the ancient pebbled street housing a myriad of picturesque shops.
- When we start feeling peckish, we can stop for lunch in one of the many restaurants and bistros and maybe enjoy some local specialities.
- We cannot miss the opportunities to walk on the city walls and take in a view of the city from above.
- After the visit, we gather at the meeting point and return to Newcastle.
Good to know
- The coach transfer takes approximately 2 hour each way.
- The excursion includes a local rep during the transfer to York and a guide once at our destination.
- Not available on Fridays and Saturdays.