HOV GÅRD CENTRE: RIDE ON HORSEBACK ON GIMSØY ISLAND
Sightseen, Less than 1 hour walking
In a nutshell
Good to know
An unforgettable experience suitable for both experienced and beginner riders - explore the enchanting Norwegian nature among silver northern beaches and ancient Viking ruins on horseback.
- Hov Gård Centre
- Horseback riding
- In the northernmost part of the Lofoten islands we find the ancient Viking village of Hov nestled between Mount Hoven and the white Arctic beaches of Gimsøy island as well as the Hov Gård Riding Centre nearby.
- This extraordinary facility is where our horseback adventure begins: we are assigned a horse among 48 Icelandic specimens descending from nothing less than Viking horses as well as two sweet Shetland ponies. After making their acquaintances and wearing the suitable protection, we get on our horses ready to explore the fascinating Norwegian nature.
- We cross the white Nordic sandy stretches and proceed along the mountain trails along which the northern warrior steeds used to trot 2000 years ago.
- Surrounded by the enchanting scenery of Gimsøy island, we have the chance of retracing the ancient testimonies of Viking times and also ride through the lovely fishing harbour of Hovsund where we can observe the characteristic racks where stockfish is hung to dry.
- More experienced riders have the chance to go for a gallop while those preferring a slower rhythm can continue to enjoy the tour at a more leisurely pace: this excursion is indeed suitable for everyone!
Good to know
- We recommend that you book early as only a limited number of places are available.
- The horseback riding excursion takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Icelandic horses are strong but rather small, so the maximum weight they can carry is 110 kg (240 lbs).
- The staff need to be informed as regards the weight, age and horseback riding experience of guests so as to assign the most suitable horses.
- Helmet, gloves, waterproof jacket and boots included.
- The minimum age permitted for the excursion is 8 years.
- This activity does not include the transfer to the facility. To take part in this activity, we recommend booking the 02SC - HOV GÅRD CENTRE: EMOTIONS TO SATISFY ALL TASTES transfer.