THE SURROUNDINGS OF BERGEN: HISTORY, LOCAL TRADITIONS AND VISIT TO A SALMON FARM
Active & adventurous, Less than 1 hour walking, 52
Bergen, the “Fjord capital”, is the starting point for a fantastic panoramic tour among the rural and suburban areas in the Sotra archipelago west of the city. We cannot avoid taking a few photos, stopping at the Øygarden History Museum or enjoying a coffee break with Norwegian specialities in these places suspended between land and sea. We then have the chance of visiting a salmon farm, one of the main activities in the area. The tour is also a special occasion to immerse ourselves in the ancient history of this part of the country without neglecting its extraordinary modernity as reflected in a sophisticated bridge system and important industrial hubs such as the Ågotnes oil centre.
- Sightseeing tour of Bergen
- Magnificent views of the old city and of the centre
- Stop for photos and crossing of the Sotra archipelago
- Øygarden, a spectacular chain of islands linked to the mainland by a bridge system
- Stop for photos in Herdlevær
- Visit to the Kystmuseet and to a salmon farm
- Coffee break with delicious lapper
- Brief stop for photos at the Solsviksundet bridge and view over the Ågotnes oil centre
- Once off the ship, we start our excursion with a short sightseeing tour of Bergen, during which we have the opportunity to admire enchanting views over the old city and the centre. The second largest city in Norway offers a truly unique spectacle thanks to the colourful façades of the Bryggen district but also showcasing considerable Medieval influences and more modern constructions, especially in the port area.
- We head west to reach the Sotra archipelago but not before stopping for photos and crossing the majestic Sotra bridge. Sotra is the largest of the islands surrounding Bergen and is inhabited by over 30,000 people.
- We continue our tour passing through the island’s suburban areas and heading north along the coast so as to fully admire thespectacle that is Øygarden: the name literally means “row of islands” and it is a true chain of islets linked by a sophisticated bridge system.
- We make an additional stop for photos in Herdlevær, a small rural community representative of the most popular activities in the area, i.e. agriculture and fishing, and continue along the short stretch to the Kystmuseet, the Øygarden history museum. We watch an interesting clip in the museum and we have the chance to observe a collection of precious artefacts ranging from the Stone Age to the present day.
- The tour ends with a visit to a salmon farm and a delicious coffee break with traditional lapper and sumptuous sour cream pancakes served with exquisite jam.
- After our tasting session, we make our way back to Bergen stopping briefly for a few photos on Solsviksundet bridge: from this privileged panoramic viewpoint, we can take in the typical rural scenery of these places suspended between land and sea in stark contrast to the modern Ågotnes oil centre, the maximum expression of modernity as well as the main source of work for the locals.