THE CHARM OF ERESFJORD AND THE MARDALSFOSSEN WATERFALLS AMONG WATERWAYS AND TRAILS
Giro turistico, Naturrundtur
A tour to discover the western part of Norway setting off by sea and returning by road. Our exceptional destination is the village of Eresfjord, an excellent point to observe the surrounding scenery. From here, we reach a truly unique viewpoint overlooking the tallest waterfall in Northern Europe, which we can capture in amazing photos.
What we will see
- Departure from Åndalsnes by boat
- Eresfjord, hidden gem in western Norway
- Mardalsfossen waterfall: the tallest in Northern Europe (photo stop)
What we will do
- We leave Åndalsnes behind, one of Norway’s most beautiful cities, to reach Eresfjord by boat. This enchanting town is inhabited by only a few hundred people and is located in Norway’s westernmost region, Vestlandet, between Eikesdalsvatnet lake and Eresfjorden fjord.
- Off the tourist beaten track, this lovely village offers breathtaking views.
- We get on a coach to reach a spectacular viewpoint where we can admire the tallest waterfall in Northern Europe: with a height of 655 metres and a drop of 297 metres, Mardalsfossen awaits us in all its glory.
- In 1970, the waterfall started being used to produce hydro-electric power but an important protest movement called “Mardøla action” ensued. Despite the demonstrations, the waterfall became part of a hydroelectric system and was closed off for most of the year. Since then, it is only open to the public in summer, between 20th June and 20th August.
- We stop off to photograph the majestic waterfall and enjoy the amazing views of lake Eikesdalsvatnet in the distance.
- After this fascinating excursion, we return to Åndalsnes by coach, and admire the scenery from a different point of view.