ALKMAAR ON YOUR OWN
In a nutshell The ideal excursion for those wishing to discover Alkmaar at their own leisure. This tour of the lovely city in northern Holland has much to offer. The magnificent city centre is dotted with museums and monuments: in addition to the Dutch Cheese Museum and the Public Weigh-house - true symbols of the city - Alkmaar boasts such a wide range of cultural attractions that it will be difficult to make a choice. Those who prefer to relax can take advantage of the time available to walk around the picturesque streets or sail along the romantic canals, maybe stopping for a spot of shopping or to sit at a table of one of the many cafés.
Good to know
- Sightseeing coach tour
- Free time in Alkmaar
- Museums to see: Dutch Cheese Museum, Beatles Museum, National Beer Museum
- Main sights: City Hall, Public Weigh-house Square, Public Weigh-house and Grote Kerk
- Our excursion starts by coach headed to Alkmaar. Along the way, a rep is available to satisfy all our enquiries.
- As we listen to his anecdotes and stories, we admire the surrounding rural landscape dotted with farms, canals, fields of flowers and mills. We cannot help but appreciate the spectacular scenery of such a typically Dutch plain where our mind flips through the photographs and paintings that posters, brochures, books and catalogues have contributed to etch in our brain!
- Once in Alkmaar, we get off our coach near the city centre and set off to visit the city at our own leisure. We can spend a few hours in absolute freedom admiring Alkmaar’s monuments and museums, savouring local delicacies and indulging in some shopping.
- The Dutch Cheese Museum is a must as Alkmaar is the undisputed king of cheese production in the Netherlands, as is the Beatles Museum, one of the three official museums dedicated to the band in Europe, as well as the National Beer Museum which also offers a glass of beer at a reduced price at the end of the visit.
- As we stroll around the city streets, we can admire the “Stadhuis”, i.e. Alkmaar’s Town Hall in a Gothic Revival Style, the “Waagplein” or “Public Weigh-house Square” famous for its cheese market and the “Waag” or Public Weigh-house, a historic Renaissance building home to the Dutch Cheese Museum. We can then head towards the “Grote of Sint-Laurenkerk” or Grote Kerk, the city’s leading example of Gothic Revival architecture.
- Weather permitting, we can visit Alkmaar by boat as various short tours along the city’s picturesque canals are available to see the city from an entirely different angle.
- At this point, how can we not mention the wide range of cafés and restaurants that contribute to making Alkmaar so picturesque and elegant? We can relax as we enjoy a delicious snack at a table by the canal or in an elegant romantic restaurant. In addition, there are plenty of alternatives if we prefer a light snack between one attraction and another.
- Before our excursion comes to an end, let us not forget that the city has plenty to offer for shopping lovers, as its streets are filled with lovely shops and boutiques for all tastes and budgets.
- We then make our way back to our coach and to the port of Ijmuiden.
Good to know
- This excursion does not include a guide. A local ecort will provide general information in English.
- This excursion is reserved for guests who do not disembark at Ijmuiden.