RICKSHAW RIDE THROUGH THE STONES OF MATERA
An exciting rickshaw ride among the houses dug out of the rock that date back to pre-history. Some people have come back to live in them: you'll meet them and hear about their experience. Then it's down to underground Matera, a city beneath the city, visiting the Palombaro il Lungo cistern. GREEN PASS IS REQUIRED FOR THIS EXCURSION, PLEASE CARRY IT WITH YOU. IN CASE YOU DO NOT HAVE IT, YOU CAN OBTAIN IT ONBOARD.
- Sasso Barisano and Sasso Caveoso on a rickshaw
- Underground Matera: Palombaro il Lungo cistern
- On a rickshaw with an audio-guide discovering the ancient urban settlements of Matera: Sasso Bariano, with its scuplted portals, and Sasso Caveoso, shaped like an amphitheater. Here you'll see the unusual dwellings dug out of the rock as well as the stone churches, many of which are decorated with frescoes. Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Stones were also a location for the film The Passion of the Christ.
- With our guide, you'll visit Palombaro il Lungo, the biggest underground water cistern in the city, it stands 15 meters high. It is part of Underground Matera. Built at the end of 1800, it was rediscovered in 1991 by researchers who explored it in a rubber dinghy.
- What is it like to live in stone dwellings that are over ten thousand years old? A local inhabitant who has returned to living there will tell you. At the end of the tour, you'll receive a souvenir of local craftwork: you'll take home a traditional handmade cuckoo whistle.
Good to know
- Make sure you have your driving licence and some ID with you to ride the rickshaw.
- With an Italian and English audio guide.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.