JEEP TOUR AMONG THE VOLCANIC PEAKS OF SÃO MIGUEL
In a nutshell The magical colours and scents of nature during a thrilling 4x4 excursion to discover what has been nicknamed “green island”, which boasts countless pools of water, woods and pastures dotted around its striking scenery.
Good to know
- Jeep excursion among villages, woods and pastures with curious anecdotes on the island’s culture and history
- Miradouro da Vista do Rei: belvedere over two volcanic lakes
- Cumieira Pequena dirt road on the edge of a crater
- Ancient town of Sete Cidades
- Panoramic route along the banks of the volcanic lake
- Miradouro da Pico do Carvão: exceptional views of the volcanic peaks
- We leave our ship and get on a comfortable Jeep headed to the western part of the island.
- As we drive through the lush vegetation made up of woodland and pastures, we soon discover why São Miguel is known as Green Island.
- Our expert guide provides us with interesting information about its culture and history as well as on the flora and fauna we encounter along the way.
- We make a stop at Miradouro da Vista do Rei, the viewpoint named in honour of King Carlos I of Portugal who, in 1901, stopped at this point to admire the impressive panorama. The view stretches along an enormous crater featuring two twin lakes of different colours - the Blue Lake and Green Lake separated by a narrow bridge.
- As we drive along the Cumieira Pequena dirt road, we take in the breathtaking scenery from the edge of the crater and enjoy exceptional views over Mosteiros, the area affected by the latest eruptions, from Miradouro da Lomba do Vasco.
- We then reach the ancient town of Sete Cidades, a charming place where the population still leads a traditional lifestyle.
- We get back to our Jeep for a panoramic drive along the volcanic lake.
- Before returning to the ship, we make one last stop for photos at Miradouro da Pico do Carvão offering exceptional views over both the northern and southern coasts as well as over various volcanic peaks.
Good to know
- The order of the stops may be subject to modification without prior warning for operational reasons or to avoid the crowds.
- We recommend wearing comfortable shoes and clothing suitable for the weather.
- The excursion is not recommended for pregnant women or guests with back problems.
- Participants must be able to get on and off the Jeep on their own.
- Part of the excursion takes place on uneven and cobbled grounds and includes steps in Sete Cidades.
- Minimum age: 6 years old.