Praia Da Vitoria
TERCEIRA AND THE GEOLOGICAL MIRACLE OF ALGAR DO CARVÃO
In a nutshell A half-day coach excursion to discover Terceira’s volcanic scenery. A thrilling journey among some of the most fascinating landscapes of the Azores to come into close contact with the two elements that marked the island’s history: ocean water and volcanic fire. The excursion ends with a grand finale to admire nature’s splendour and greatness: one last stop in the geological nature reserve of Algar do Carvão.
Good to know
- Monte Brasil with its lush vegetation *Scenic villages of São Sebastião and Porto Martins
- Praia da Vitória, a top destination for windsurf enthusiasts.
- Serra do Cume viewpoint
- Caldeira de Guilherme Moniz with its volcanic landscape
- Geological nature reserve of Algar do Carvão
- We leave the port behind us and set off to admire the island’s unique landscapes on a coach tour through the lush Monte Brasilreserve, the picturesque town of São Sebastião and the scenic fishing village of Porto Martins.
- Once in Praia da Vitória, famous for its white beach popular with windsurf enthusiasts, we go on a short stroll to the city centre.
- We reach the evocative Serra do Cume viewpoint at height of 545 m where we can enjoy splendid views overlooking the bay and the city. Caldeira de Guilherme Moniz is our next stop: with a perimeter of 15 km, it is the most enormous crater in the archipelago.
- At this point, we venture into the endless volcanic scenery typical of the region. This is where the cattle protagonist of the famous “tourada à corda” which is one of the oldest recreational traditions in the archipelago, is bred. Our last amazing stop before returning to the ship is the Algar do Carvão* geological nature reserve, i.e. the chamber of the volcano Guilherme Moniz.
Good to know
- Visibility from the viewpoints is subject to weather conditions.
- Access to Algar do Carvão involves some steps.
- We recommend wearing comfortable shoes and clothing suitable for the weather. Do not forget a hat and local currency.