Sightseen, Designed for families, MyExploration, From 1 to 3 hours walking
A long excursion, the longest ever, will take you from Valletta through the history, art and culture of Malta. And even reveal some secrets you might not have known about. Set off as a tourist and come back feeling like a knight templar.
- Barrakka Gardens with view of the Grand Harbour and the Three Cities: Senglea, Cospicua and Vittoriosa
- Co-Cathedral of St John the Baptist: external visit
- Bronze Triton Fountain: photo stop
- Marsaxlokk, fishing village
- Rabat: free time for lunch and tour of the town
- Mosta Cathedral: internal visit
- In Valletta, a fortress city and UNESCO World Heritage Site you'll immediately see the Auberge de Castille, the most beautiful building in the capital, now home to the offices of the Prime Minister, and the Barrakka Gardens, formerly the private gardens of the Knights of the famous order.
- The history of Malta is closely linked to that of the Knights Templar who built the Co-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist here, which houses a work by Caravaggio. Not everyone knows that: the great artist became part of the order of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem to escape a death sentence issued by the Pope for an earlier crime.
- You'll then travel to Vittoriosa, one of the Three Cities which, together with Senglea and Cospicua, is the cradle of Maltese history and culture. In the fishing village of Marsaxlokk you'll finally discover where fishermen moor their “luzzi”, the colorful boats with two eyes painted on the bow.
- In Rabat make the most of your free time to enjoy a lunch of “ravjul stuffed with Gozo's gbesjna cheese” and visit the town, where you'll find the cave and catacombs of Saint Paul, who founded the first Christian community here.
- Last stop, the “miracle” Cathedral of Mosta: a German bomb fell into it during mass, but failed to explode. “Wow!” followed by the click of your smartphone will be constant features of this excursion.
Good to know
- Wear suitable clothing for the places of worship you will be visiting.