A STROLL THROUGH MESSINA
Sightseen, MyExploration, Passepartour, From 1 to 3 hours walking, 1
Join us on our “passiata” through Messina: a guided walk among the iconic sites of the city, from the historic port to the Santissima Annunziata dei Catalani Church and on to the Cathedral, which houses many treasures. After listening to the roar of a golden lion, discover the city's Liberty architecture in the Vittorio Emanuele III Gallery and along Via Garibaldi.
Santissima Annunziata dei Catalani Church: external visit Messina Cathedral * Vittorio Emanuele III Gallery * Piazza dell’Università * Via Garibaldi with its Liberty buildings
- Your adventure in the city known as the gateway to Sicily starts from the unmistakeable hook-shaped port that led to Messina being known in ancient times as “Zancle”, scythe in Sicilian.
- Leave the stele of Madonna della Lettera and the Santissimo Salvatore Fort behind you and continue your walk to Santissima Annunziata dei Catalani Church, the first in the city, with stunning Arab-Norman façades to admire.
- It's time to enter the Santa Maria Assunta Cathedral, a treasure trove of rare works of art, including the second biggest organ in Italy, with no less than 16,000 pipes.
- As you leave the cathedral square, look up at the bell tower and you'll see the biggest astronomical clock in the world, which includes a perpetual calendar, zodiac and even a roaring lion.
- The walk continues among the city's monuments: the Vittorio Emanuele III Gallery, with its skylights and stained glass, Piazza dell'Università and Via Garibaldi, with its historic Liberty-style buildings.
Good to know -