SCUOLA GRANDE DI SAN ROCCO, NARROW STREETS AND SQUARES
Culture & local gems , From 1 to 3 hours walking
Venice is a unique city for so many reasons, it is impossible to list them all. Venturing through its narrow streets and small squares you'll come to the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, with frescoes by Tintoretto. And you'll cross bridges over its waterways; streets made of water. By the end of the tour you'll have picked up the local jargon. You'll know, for example, that a wine bar is a bacaro.
Scuola Grande di San Rocco, 16th century building
Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari: external visit
Scala Contarini del Bovolo, a monumental spiral staircase: external visit
Aperitif in a bacaro, a Venetian wine bar, with typical snacks
- The 16th century Scuola Grande di San Rocco was the seat of a lay brotherhood devoted to charitable work. And one of its brothers was Tintoretto who, unsurprisingly, took charge of the decoration. We could say that the school is to Venice what the Sistine Chapel is to Rome. You'll visit it with our expert guide.
- From Campo dei Frari, overlooked by the basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, the largest church in Venice, to the Rialto market, built in 1097, with the bridge of the same name. If you like posting panoramic photos on Instagram, this is the place to go.
- From Campo Manin you'll enter a small courtyard that brings you to the imposing Contarini del Bovolo staircase, a spiral staircase that climbs to the top of a cylindrical tower with a height of 26 meters. It is said that Pietro Contarini commissioned it because he wanted to reach his bedroom on horseback. After the staircase was built, his branch of the family was nicknamed “del bovolo”. In Venetian dialect Bovolo is the word for a snail.
- There was a reason for mentioning the bacaro: the last stop on the trip is in fact a typical Venetian wine bar. You can try cicchetti, a selection of appetizers, to go with a glass of prosecco or a non-alcoholic cocktail.
Good to know
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.