EXPLORING MARSEILLE AND ITS MANY FLAVOURS
PasseparTour, Culture, Tasting
In a nutshell A tour in search of the true soul of Marseille, a bustling, multicultural city with a long and fascinating history, brimming with the flavours and aromas of Mediterranean culture.
Good to know
- The Church of Saint Laurent and the view of the Old Port
- 'La Major' Cathedral and Esplanade
- Museum Complex
- 'Panier' quarter, 'La Vieille Charité' courtyard and loggia
- We begin our discovery tour of Marseille by taking the shuttle bus from the port to the Church of Saint-Laurent. The little square in front of the church offers beautiful views of the Old Port and the hills surrounding the city.
- We make our way downhill from the church towards Marseille's Neo-Byzantine cathedral, known locally as La Major. After a tour around the outside of the building, we have a short stop in the new Esplanade, recently completed to coincide with Marseille's nomination as the 'European capital of culture 2013'.
- We then make our way to the new museum complex, which comprises three institutions: the 'Musée Regards de Provence', the 'Ville Méditerranée' and 'MuCEM' * the Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilisations. Our guide will provide an overview of each building from the outside.
- We walk onwards, heading into the old heart of the city, the 'Panier' quarter, with its artisan workshops and colourful, bustling cafés.
- Before we make our way into the web of narrow streets of the old town, we stop to visit the courtyard and the loggia of 'La Vieille Charité', a building that originally served as an almshouse for the city's poor, but which is now home to a cultural centre and a venue for temporary exhibitions. We then take another short break to sample some local products.
Good to know
- In order to guarantee the health of our guests, in compliance with the regulations and the respect of the safety protocol, the itineraries and the duration of the excursions may be subject to changes, even if not substantial.