CAGLIARI, ANCIENT STORIES AND SEAFARERS (pm departure)
On the tracks of ancient civilizations in Cagliari with a sightseeing tour: from the Monte Urpinu Park with a view of the pink flamingo lagoon, to the Castello district that overlooks the city, to the Marina, where the first fishermen would sleep.
- Ancient Cagliari: Museum Citadel, Cathedral, Castello district, Marina district.
- Modern Cagliari: Via Roma, Poetto avenue and beach, Molentargius Park and salt flats, Mount Urpinu.
- With our guide, discover Cagliari, the regional capital of Sardinia, inhabited since Neolithic times. Start the tour on Mount Urpinu, which means vulpine in Sardinian dialect, an urban wildlife park that affords a view of the whole city: with Poetto beach and the Molentargius-Saline Regional Nature Park to one side, and the modern city, overlooked by the old town, to the other.
- As we skirt around this natural oasis, take a picture of the pink flamingos that nest here every year and then get ready to visit the Shrine of Nostra Signora Bonaria by reading the story that links it to the birth of Buenos Aires.
- Proceed to the highest part of the old town, with the Museum Citadel that includes the National Painting Gallery and Archaeological Museum exhibiting the “Giants” of Mont'e Prama.
- You've now come to the Castle, the medieval district from which the Sardinian name of the city, Casteddu, is derived. Admire the Palazzo Viceregio, the Genoese baroque style Cathedral and the bastions.
- Then say farewell to Cagliari as the bus passes through the ancient fishing district of Marina.
Good to know
- Slight changes may be made to itineraries and the length of excursions in order to safeguard your health and comply with regulations and the safety protocol.
- When there are religious festivals, the visit to the cathedral will be limited to the outside.
- The “No Barriers Tour” is a collaboration between the Costa Cruises Foundation and the Italian Multiple Sclerosis Association (AISM) in order to offer “slower” excursions and itineraries with fewer obstructions. The “No Barriers Tour” version of this excursion is available exclusively on Costa Smeralda and Costa Firenze.
- If you are a wheelchair user, the “No Barriers Tour” must be booked through your cruise contact.
- The excursion may take place in the morning or afternoon.