VISIT THE IMPERIAL PORTS LIKE AN ANCIENT ROMAN, GUIDED BY AN ARCHAEOLOGIST
Special, Culture & local gems, From 1 to 3 hours walking, Certified guide, 2
Two archaeological gems, two exceptional masters, a select group of explorers: these are the ingredients for an exclusive tour on which you'll experience the daily lives of the inhabitants of the Roman Empire. Discover Ostia Antica and the ports of Claudius and Trajan with an archaeologist selected by National Geographic Expeditions, then join us for a fish lunch at the 4112 gourmet bistrot run by award-winning chef Lele Usai.
- Archaeological park of Ostia Antica
- Lunch at Bistrot 4112, run by award-winning chef Lele Usai
- Ports of Claudius and Trajan
- You and your small group, face to face with the greatness of the Roman Empire: travel back through time with an exclusive tour guided by an expert scholar, an archaeologist selected by National Geographic Expeditions.
- With him you'll explore two archaeological sites: Ostia Antica, a city of commerce, river port and major settlement, and the ports of Claudius and Trajan.
- Thanks to the exceptional state of conservation of the sites and the in-depth and engaging explanations of our expert, you'll relive everyday life in the ports that served the capital of the Roman Empire.
- And for lunch you can look forward to fresh food cooked by another expert: between the two visits we've booked you a fish lunch by the river at the award-winning chef Lele Usai's Bistrot 4112.
- Take your seat in the restaurant with its large outdoor terrace, and transition from great history to the great culinary tradition of the area through the dishes on the menu which are all strictly seasonal and ultra fresh, based on what is available from the fish market.
Good to know
- If the Imperial Ports of Claudius and Trajan are closed, you will visit the Isola Sacra Necropolis, where the inscriptions and bas-reliefs on over 100 tombs illustrate the life, vices and virtues of the inhabitants of the Roman Empire's ports or the Renaissance city of Ostia, with the frescoes by Baldassarre Peruzzi.
- This is one of the most popular excursions so book early.